Two More Great and Healthy Recipes to Add to Your Meal Planning
Tomato Spinach Strata
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, or 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach, cooked, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce, divided
- 6 slices whole-grain sandwich bread, preferably day-old
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
3 large eggs
1 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 2 small delicata squash (about 12 ounces each), halved and seeded
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons toasted pepitas
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush the cut sides of the squash with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place facedown on a large baking sheet. Bake until tender and browned on the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring bulgur and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef, chili powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bulgur and cook 1 minute. Stir in yogurt.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup filling into each squash half. Serve sprinkled with pepitas.
TIPS & NOTES
- Tip: For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds: Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Trackback from your site.