Healthy Appetizers for the Holiday Season
Today’s blog post focuses, once again, on providing some healthy and delicious recipes for your and your guests this season!
- 20 grape tomatoes
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
*Use a good Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 20 toothpicks
- Toss tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, olive oil, basil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl until well coated. Skewer one tomato and one piece of mozzarella cheese on each toothpick.
Prosciutto Cups with Ricotta & Spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- 375 ml ricotta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the garlic, spinach, pepper and ricotta cheese until well blended. Set aside. Place strips of prosciutto into mini muffin cups so that they line the bottom, but there is some meat hanging out over the sides, and it kind of looks like a flower. Fill each cup with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture, or so the cup is full and rounded on the top. The filling should look like the center of the flower.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the prosciutto is browned and stiff to the touch. The cups should be able to retain their shape after removing from the pan. Serve warm, but not hot.
Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Wash mushrooms, remove stems, hollow out and brush inside and out with olive oil.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine cheese and pesto, reserving 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese for later. Stuff the cheese-pesto mixture into the mushroom caps. Arrange the caps on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the reserved Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and brownish.
Cucumber, Avocado & Tomato Salad with Feta
- 30 -40 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 -3 cucumbers cubed & skin left on
- 200 grams of feta cheese cubed
- 3 large avocados cubed
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (Good Olive Oil)
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 11/2 tsp Oregano, dried
- 11/2 tsp Basil, dried
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon style mustard
- Combine all ingredients for Vinaigrette in a blender for 30-45 seconds OR in a bowl and whish. Set aside.
- Wash and prepare all vegetables and place in large bowl.
- Mix desired amount of vinaigrette to salad and serve.
Note: if preparing in advance; do not prepare avocado in advance
Tags: #appetizers, #avocado, #caprese, #feta, #healhty, #healthyliving, #healthyrecipes, #holiday, #holidayappetizers, #johnstonhealthcenter, #mushrooms, #pesto, #pestostuffedmushrooms, #prosciutto, #ricotta, #salad, #spinach, #stuffedmushrooms, #tomato, Cucumber
Trackback from your site.