We are just finishing up our first week of school! Lunches are still loved…but keeping on track will start to become harder and the “boring” element usually sets in by mid September.
In an attempt to pre-empt the boring lunch routine, we have rounded up a few more healthier snack ideas.
Get the kids involved this weekend to prep ahead some of the delicious snack ideas! We always seem to have some extra bananas stored in our freezer, so we are sharing a couple of delicious banana recipes!
Bon Appetite and Happy First Week of School!
Dr. Will & Dr. Erin
Paleo Banana Bread (Grain, Dairy, Egg, Soy and Sugar Free)
- 1/2 cup almond meal or sunflower seed meal (grind sunflower seeds in your blender)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 t. tapioca starch
- 1 t. cream of tartar
- 3/4 t. Baking Soda
- 3/4 t. stevia powder
- 1 1/2 t. xanthan gum
- 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
- 2 pureed bananas
- 3/4 cup +2 T. sunflower butter
- 2 flaxseed meal eggs
- 1.Preheat the oven to 350.
- 2.In small bowl combine 2 T. flaxseed meal and 6 T. water. Set aside.
- 3.In large mixing bowl combine almond flour/meal, arrowroot starch, tapioca starch, cream of tartar, baking soda, xanthan gum, nutmeg and stevia.
- 4.Puree the bananas in a blender or small chopper. Add to the dry ingredients.
- 5.Add the Sunflower Butter, and flaxseed “egg” mixture and stir till smooth.
- 6.Pour into greased mini loaf pans and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan. If you’re like us, you won’t have any leftovers!
GRAIN FREE BANANA GRANOLA (NUT FREE)
- 1 Cup sunflower seeds
- ¾ Cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ Cup ground flax seeds
- 1 Cup unsweetened banana chips
- 1 Ripe banana
- ¼ Cup honey
- ½ Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Heaping tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the sunflower seeds, shredded coconut and flax seeds. Roughly chop the banana chips into pieces and place in the bowl.
- Mash the banana with a fork.
- Add the mashed banana, honey. coconut oil cinnamon, vanilla and salt to the bowl. Stir the mixture until well combined.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Use your hands to drop the mixture onto the pan in separated pieces. Don’t overcrowd any one area of the pan. The granola pieces need space to get crispy.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 70-90 minutes. Every 20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and gently stir the granola.
- At the 60 minute mark, break any large pieces of granola into a few smaller pieces. Smaller pieces will be crunchier.
- Let the granola cool completely before eating. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge.
Looking for some other delicious and nutritious ideas for your lunch time routine – check out one of our favourite sites – http://paleogrubs.com/
Trackback from your site.