Do You Have Toxic Foods in Your Kitchen?
Toxic Foods Right at Home
We came across this fascinating article regarding some of the toxic foods that are found right in our kitchen! Everyday items that can really make us ill if used inappropriately. The website ca.shine.yahoo.com shares 9 toxic foods that we have in our kitchen.
We were startled by the list and thought many of our readers and followers would be too!
Take a look through your kitchen as you read through the list. The article offers some good tips on making your kitchen a safer and healthier place.Quinoa
QuinoaOften touted as a super food, quinoa has become increasingly popular in recent years. But, one step that many people forget is to wash the grain before consuming. Missing this can make you ill because quinoa is coated with saponins,which produce a reaction in some people. The side effect is usually gastrointestinal pain and discomfort.
Daffodil BulbsWe’re all taught certain foods to be weary of like raw shellfish and under cooked meat. But, daffodils aren’t really on the radar. The Public Health England recently sent a letter to major stores warning them to keep the bulbs of the flower away from other produce because it is often confused with onions or popular Chinese vegetables. The reason for their concern is daffodils contain a toxin that can cause severe vomiting.
Although it is great with some egg nog at Christmas, too much nutmeg can lead to some serious health problems. The spice contains myristicin, which can cause you to hallucinate. But, don’t get any ideas to use this for a good time because it also causes vomiting, dizziness, sweating, and headache. And these effects can last for days and in some cases people have died.
ApplesAn apple a day keeps the doctor away, but eating apple seeds will have you frantically calling your doc. Why? They contain amygdalin, which again turns into hydrogen cyanide leading to vomiting and dizziness when consumed in small amounts and kidney failure and coma when a large amount is ingested. But, not to worry because the body can handle a few accidental seeds; just don’t eat a handful. The same rule goes for all stone fruits like plums, peaches, cherries, pears and apricots.
PotatoesSpuds are great, delicious and easy making them a favorite food of many. Eating organic is even better. But, beware when your potato starts to turn green because it means your face may turn the same color. When this happens it means solanine is now in the food and that can cause everything gastrointestinal discomfort to hallucinations, paralysis and death.
RhubarbThe stalks of this vegetable are used in many recipes including the classic rhubarb pie. While many of us gobble that up, it’s important to stay away from the leaves because they contain oxalate. Ingesting even a few bites can cause wretched convulsions, breathing problems, kidney failure, seizures, coma and in rare cases death.
One thing you may be surprised to find about chowing down on almonds is that they’re not actually raw like you think. Raw almonds are not only bitter but contain cyanide — making them both gross tasting and sometimes deadly. Even just a handful of these seeds can cause stomach cramping, nausea and dizziness. They are illegal to sell in the United States, but it’s best to stay away from them when traveling abroad as the same restrictions do not apply.
These green little beans are packed full of fiber, but they can also make you very sick if not prepared properly. A raw lima beancontains limarin, which converts into cyanide in the body and can cause death if consumed in large quantities. They’re safe to eat when cooked, so make sure to cook them at least 10 minutes before using in any recipe.
Like lima beans, kidney beans can never be eaten raw. They contain the toxin phytohaemagglutinin, which can give you minor stomach discomfort in the best case scenario and food poisoning in the worst; in rare cases some of died. To ensure you have a delicious meal and not a deadly one boil your beans for 10 minutes before cooking them. This is especially true if you are using a slow cooker because the beans become five times more toxic when heated at those lower temperatures. If you’re nervous, stick with the canned beans.
Often found in healthy restaurants and on tropical vacations, this starchy root can be used a tasty addition to any dish. Just make sure it is thoroughly cooked because it contains linamarin and lotaustralin, which like lima beans converts into cyanide making you very ill.Following the tips found in this article will make for safer food preparation.Get Educated! Get Inspired! Take Action!
Trackback from your site.